Buy now on myokapi.com
Building comprehension strategies for the elementary years
by Dr. Alison Davis
Skilled readers are active readers, using many comprehension strategies to make meaning before, during, and after reading.
Building comprehension strategies focuses on the strategies most often used to successfully develop the comprehension ability of elementary students.
Comprehension strategies include:
- making connections to prior knowledge,
- prediction and re-prediction,
- asking and answering questions,
- retelling and paraphrasing, and
Building comprehension strategies provides:
- an explanation of each strategy and examples of learning goals and success criteria;
- examples of “talk-aloud” and “think-aloud” teaching and learning approaches;
- examples of explicit instruction, based on commonly used reading texts;
- self and peer assessment tasks in relation to strategy use;
- advice on how teachers can integrate the strategies in one or a series of lessons.
Download sample chapter
You can download Chapter 1: Effective reading comprehension practices (PDF)
Also included is the table of contents.
What’s on the CD-ROM?
The accompanying CD-ROM contains blackline masters and graphic organizers
that can be used for independent, pair, and small-group work during instruction,
and as part of planned practice and maintenance throughout the year.